Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Volunteer hours at OLP work-day Sunday, Sept 29

Hello All!

I wanted to let you know about the volunteer day I have set up for the last Sunday of this month. The work will be done between 10 and 2. This work day coincides with the state-wide volunteer service day. 

I have applied for a $500 grant through the state for further improvements to the OLP. The things we would purchase include: trees and other native vegetation, hand tools, bird and bat boxes, and compost. The grant will also fund a new sign to be made and placed in the existing kiosk near the outdoor classroom. We'll put pictures of butterflies, birds, flowers, etc. that people will find in the OLP. We'll also build two boxes to attach to the kiosk: one will hold "checklists" for folks to mark what they have found and one box will be used for checklist submissions. They can put their name and the date on the paper. This way, we can keep track of who is seeing what at the OLP at different times during the year. 

I should know this week if we get the grant. I really hope we do! I'll be sure to keep you updated.
 
(Editor's note: Hannah got the grant.)

I have contacted BOPARC twice about mulch and have received no answer. I'll try again this week.  

Please let me know if you are able to attend the work day. It would be great to have some OLP experts showing the volunteers what needs to be done, what weeds can be pulled, etc. 

Thank you for all of your hard work!
--
Hannah Spencer, Volunteer Coordinator
Friends of Deckers Creek
P.O.Box 877 Dellslow, WV 26531
Office: 304.292.3970
Fax: 304.292.5070
E-mail: Hannah@deckerscreek.org
www.deckerscreek.org

No comments:

Post a Comment